02 June 2014

Today's Special: Skewered Duck

I next go to my two endeared teams in the league in Phil's series.I imagine that this shouldn't be too much different from yesterday's pair. Given that I understand the identities of both teams, it really gets me to think about the development of their brand image.


The Ducks changed to black, gold, and orange after being sold by Disney. The big mistake the team made was the lack of orange (among the general consensus). Phil fixes that on the colored uniform. But in trying to do so came a new dilemma, the lack of white accenture. Beyond the font, there is no white to be found anywhere else. A good place to start would be the sponsor and name just since the name is slightly hard to read. Turn both into solid white to mellow out that aspect while adding it on either side of the color divide at the bottom (preferably in the orange area and not the black or between both). The final touch would be to add a black stripe of some sort to the socks and I'll be set here. But I tell you it looks pretty spot on from a non-fan's perspective.


This is a little more difficult not because I live here or because I follow the team slightly less, but because of their identity crisis. Let me make an observation first. The socks simply cannot go without the classic three gold stripes at the top. While the small white chevron is atypical to a jersey in general, it has been an idea introduced for the Sabres in other concepts before. but here, I'm not sure it works well anyway. I'm still not big on these Sabre numbers in particular, I don't know where to go other than the original standard block numbers. The name font can stay, it's one of the few things the team did right with their infamous cape jersey this past season. As for the half blue and half gold, stick with a more traditional pattern - either stripes, hoops, vertical halves, or quadrants. The partial gold is a good place to go back to if this gets a face-lift.

With 13% of the league out of the way, color distribution and design orientation have not been much of a problem. socks have been the only thing I have consistently criticized - and that's relatively minor, so not much to worry about if I'm Phil. Another pair tomorrow.

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.