20 July 2012

We Have a Winner

As expected, the HJC Open Finalists for this year didn't make it easy on me (in more ways than one). I had to sleep on my options took a look at them today and I have sent my vote to Ryan at HJC. and our winner is . . .

My winning entry selection courtesy of HJC.

But both Stéphane and Justin are winners in my book, especially if I had a time limit on a decision for yesterday that would mean they are co-champions. But just like a hockey game, someone had to win, we just went into overtime. Here is Justin's entry.

Justin's entry courtesy of HJC.
This was a difficult decision as you already know. What threw me off about Stéphane's concept at first was the lack of black from the road jersey. The potential logos help make the jersey "cleaner" than with one of the pre-existing ones. What I decided was Justin's downfall was the use of vintage white for Detroit. Although I am not a fan of that particular version of the Maple Leaf, the striping gives appropriate use of that leaf here. So I overlooked my dislike of that logo and went straight to Detroit. The logos themselves look fantastic with it, but the red doesn't help that shade here. Maybe the shade of vintage white is darker than what it should be- that might have been the difference here.

Both concepts were well executed - no surprise there. But everyone is always a winner here. Good day to all!

-Ricky

2 comments:

Justin said...

Agh! Haha Stéphane deserves it though! Also, thanks for the feedback on my concept.

I like your logo and I actually had a similar idea. I just don't know if the Stanley Cup really applies? I would also get rid of one of the 2012's since there's two. It does looks really good though! I wouldn't be suprised if it got used.

Richard Mazella said...

I wanted to use a cartoony-style trophy but knew I'm not that advanced by creating logos unless on paper - which hasn't always transferred well via scanner.

To add insult to injury, I couldn't find either of the necessary fonts for the tournament logo. I was also worried that the drawn logo wouldn't go well with it, even if it managed to survive my scanner.

I agree with the "year" thing, but I didn't want the bottom of the cup to have nothing in it yet I didn't want to get rid of it from the original. I did figure that the Stanley Cup was appropriate to be awarded to the 'champion' of the tournament (being related to hockey) and I did have the Alexandria font from the HJC jersey contest to use for the winner's name.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.