08 August 2012

An Exciting Day!

Today is going to forevermore an important day in our history as we've been sent a concept! Our friend Justin Cox at "The Art of Hockey" has decided to make a couple of contributions. The second of the two I'm going to show is at a more personal basis to the blog - and I'm excited to share it for him. But Justin has been looking to start submitting concepts outside of HJC perhaps on a more frequent basis.

Justin Cox with a Columbus Blue Jackets concept.

Justin has informed me that he wants to create a matching white road jersey. This concept makes the mark, but at the same time it doesn't. Blue Jackets means more blue, Justin has shown that, however being in the Ohio state capital the secondary logo shouldn't be seen without the bottom stripes and/or the circle in red. The reason being is that it better incorporates the state flag and that this is the only NHL team in Ohio. Otherwise, the double blue look doesn't bother me at all here, as I think it works perfectly. I am not quite a fan of this particular shade of grey, yet I understand it's terms of use as the secondary color used for the Union army's uniform - which justifies my reason for approval.

As typical of Justin, we see great execution and detail (notice the stars around the cuffs). This includes the extra gear. One of my pet peeves is having un-matching hockey pants and socks. This is a great example for hockey of a good match, whereas in other sports this may not go over well.

Justin's two cents on the future of BNG.

After slight alterations to the BNG buffalo and taking out the word-mark from inside it, Justin then applied it to a version of the original/current third jersey logo of the Boston Bruins. As I have begun to start a new identification process for branding my concepts, this coincidentally showed up on our doorstep. The font up top that reads "Buffalo" is the exact style used for that Bruins logo. But it is the very mullet of graphic design - that is not too professional but not to casual. The smaller font below in the banner is larger than the aforementioned logo, but necessary. Perhaps the buffalo should have it's head facing forward? You can be the judge of that I suppose . . . Very nicely done!

You can now view these in Justin's portfolio on our Guest concepts tab. If you want to look for someone's concepts (other than mine), you wouldn't want to waste your time by searching through each individual post. We are trying to make this as user-friendly as possible.



As for that signature I was working on, this is just one of the ideas I came up with . . . I'm a long way from what I think I'm looking for. Until tomorrow!

-Ricky

1 comment:

Justin said...

Thanks for posting these and thanks for the feedback Ricky! In all honesty, I had no idea you used that buffalo! I found it on google and redrew it myself. Funny how things work out!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.