16 September 2012

Any Given Sunday

I don't have anything for today, so I will share my fantasy football flukes, flops, follies, and fortunes from last week tomorrow will feature today's results. As today's games have already started, I am still behind my opponent, who happens to be my broadcast partner Barry Ebua, because he had a pair of players in the Thursday night game between Green Bay and Chicago. In essence, he has a head start. And yes, both of my teams are named after the now defunct Buffalo/Columbus Destroyers of the Arena Football League. It would have been named after the approved af2 expansion team set to play in Buffalo for 2010, but they hadn't had a name or logo yet before the subsequent collapse of the af2, in part due to the collapse of the original (not absorbed) Arena Football League. The new arena league was originally supposed to rival the Arena FL, however the new league was to be named Arena Football One.




This is the first league I entered, this one is merely for pride and bragging rights as there are only five human-selected teams. The other three teams' "owners" didn't show up for the draft and subsequently were taken over by CBS Sports' automated "participants." This would be the week for me to do bad in this case because it's a bye week, meaning I don't get a win or loss.


Tied for fifth by points behind 1st place, have worse points allowed

This league however is the one that counts. Week one was tough for me, playing against the commissioner of both leagues. My demise was the fact that the Eagles should have played better against a poor Browns team and the Saints got their entire defense back minus Johnathan Vilma and still lost to Robert Griffin III and his Hogs. I then would have sat Michael Vick, like I did this week going up against the Ravens this afternoon. RGIII may still get points even if the Redskins lose to the Rams today, because the Rams defense is certainly not the best and London Fletcher should have a good game on defense for Washington. Too bad he doesn't play for my Buffalo Bills anymore. The same Bills who should obliterate the Chiefs at home, just as they did on opening day September 11 last year by a score of 41-7 in Kansas City, will get good looks at C.J. Spiller who must pick up the slack for the temporarily injured Fred Jackson.

Clearly, RGIII would have made it a 7 point loss instead of 20. Even swapping Kellen Winslow and Anthony Fasano at tight end would have kept the game tied provided I start Pierre Garcon over Percy Harvin at wide receiver. Garcon is sitting for Week two due to his injury sustained during last week's game against New Orleans. The thing with Winslow was that I took a gamble on the real New York Jets picking him up given that talks between the consenting parties were heavily considered. Even then, there wouldn't have been a guarantee of arrival and/or playing time and/or receptions/touchdowns . . .

Oh well, it was a learning experience for everyone. Overall I was impressed that my drafting did very well. Except for the Winslow part. Winslow was dropped by the Seahawks the day after the draft for this league (a Wednesday). I dropped Winslow in order to make room for a player who did well in Week one to the form of Jacksonville tight end Marcedes Lewis - as Fasano continues to sit on the bench. Today's results will be up tomorrow but standings will be incomplete due to the Monday night game between Atlanta and Denver. My pride and brag league features Tony Gonzalez at tight end for the Falcons whereas the more important league neither me nor my opponent have players on Monday. however he unlike me, doesn't have anyone going from the Sunday night game between the Lions and 49ers. I have two in Niners' tight end Vernon Davis and Niners' running back Frank Gore, both of whom scored a touchdown last week.

In the mean time, I should maybe share with you the potential jerseys for each of the fantasy league teams . . . or at least mine. Just something to think about.

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.