15 May 2016

The Showroom on Union

Yesterday was a very strange event. A local business, the Airport Plaza Jewelers, had a jersey sale, yes that's right - a JERSEY SALE! It was the most bizarre thing to see an advertisement for throughout the last five days about jerseys at a jewelry store. Everybody was handed a door number and a special store policy card regarding jersey sales upon arrival and it was just racks with the jerseys on them tagged at the hangar with two of the several display cases with memorabilia. Pricing varied from $60 to $125 of what I had noticed. I didn't find many blank jerseys, or even of specific jerseys I have sought after, but I did find something that I didn't immediately expect. That I will start with, with Monday and Wednesday to explore the other two. Pictures will be available through the twitter handle.


That's right a replica Bob Lanier-era St. Bonaventure (Bona) men's basketball jersey. The jock tag at the front lower right has a mass replicated version of his signature. But the story behind making this purchase is more intriguing. My door number was 16 and it was on the first rack I ransacked. At that point I had hesitated and the subsequently had moved on with the risk of not getting back to it in time. As I am mid-way through the next rack, someone also pauses at it and proceeds to pick it up. I then continued going through the rest of the racks thinking nothing of it. By now I'm readying to got to the checkout counter and low and behold from distance I spotted it in the same spot as when I first found it. Same tag ID number and all. I took it before that rack was attended to by another prospective customer. Thus it is now in my possession. The idea of someone my age having this around these parts will put some upper middle-aged sports fans slightly off guard. But at least they can conclude that I can speak on behalf of the team that was Bona men's hoops. This and one other jersey in this purchase (Wednesday's post) are some of the few exceptions I have made in named/numbered jerseys. And I still have the other one in the mail I am anticipating by Friady. What a great week of posting ahead!

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.