19 May 2016

Knighthawks of the Round Table

As you saw via our Twitter handle, we had a purple Rochester Knighthawks jersey as a part of a set I had been working on for about three weeks. Given how their jerseys improved when a majority of the MILL teams got both a uniform and logo branding overhaul. Rochester, a year old at that time only received a face-lift on the logo but a complete makeover on their uniforms - some of the best in history and the best set in their franchise. Regular BNG readers are aware of my love for the team alternate in that set and might recall that the home and road from this era were used to help improve the brand of the Adelaide crows clash jumpers last year. It was this uniform set that I felt the need to live up to while improving on the sets following that second installment. The former is easier said than done but the latter is the simple part.


Not only did I feel it was necessary to get Rochester back to where it was on the league jersey totem pole, but modern elements were needed to prevent a lack of presence.The side panel gradients are the first htings that should jump out, given most of the NLL teams currently model them. Like the Philadelphia Wings concept from this spring, I looked to the ugly shields that are paraded on the Bandits present uniforms that house the television numbers. I turned the logo into an impromptu TV number accessory to help the sleeves from being bland. For the numbers, I referenced the Detroi Lions, which appeared to most closely fit with the team's identity to me. I did however keep the patches they currently don as I felt I might receive strong negative criticism from Knighthawk fans if I hadn't, though I don't care for them on both shoulders (one would do just fine). And yup, you guessed it, something I'm disappointed wasn't done for their twentieth season or anniversary - the return of the teal "Rochester" jersey. This with slight moderations to accommodate the template. The closest they've come to replicating this is replacing "Rochester" with "Knighthawks" as well as adding a triple hem stripe pattern with matching arm stripes and a collar in purple with the return of the "Care Bear" stars that has (fake) white laces. Okay my work is done here for now. Best!

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.