16 July 2014

Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet

Hawai'ian is back in my jersey mind at the moment, which is why I think that bringing back the first version of my Ducks jersey is a good place to  demonstrate. Remember the Rubric from yesterday? I'll walk you through it with the aforementioned concept (but for demonstration sake, suppose it isn't mine and that I'm another HJC writer or something).


Let's start with appeal, since it is broken down. While it isn't a traditional roundel, it still is one, docking points for the crest. The font is matching to the team identity, but the outlines could look better. There is some uneven color distribution, but is anticipated as an out of the box idea. We forgo equipment as there isn't any and even though it may appear to hurt the concept, Hawai'ian shirts don't have stripes on them, so why should this jersey thus is also not considered.

Now that we've established an appeal score, let's go to the full rubric. Full points for originality, I have never seen a Hawai'ian jersey attempted in hockey (not that it hasn't been done necessarily). But we've run into some execution errors as there are lose pixels around the collar insert on the jersey, the jersey body design has off-colored pixels, and the shoulder patches should be further down the yoke - thus three deductions. Presentation is simple but somewhat disorganized, wouldn't mind seeing a light background image. As for color, the team colors are used fairly well, I think more orange would help, but it is already potentially there in the outline just not in an appropriate fashion. Distribution says that the concept is light, not at all over powering, but your eyes keep wanting to move around the Hawai'ian theme - I'll give it a perfect.

So given all of this critique, we have a final score of  86%. Keep in mind, originality was the big reason why the jersey got such a high rating as it would be a 72% if originality were not included at all which may seem more realistic. That's a whole 14% difference. By the way, the rubric doesn't lie. Matter of fact, while I thought I was being generous rating concepts when I was writing for HJC,  I was actually one of the more harsh if not the harshest judge (I'd put my money on the former if I had to guess). But I also would have written the above score as 8.5 out of 10 (special rounding) or likewise a 7 out of 10. I hope you've been enlightened the past couple days with my criteria regardless whether or not you agree.

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.