14 September 2013

HJC: Post XVII

*** The following is my post from a different site, please visit www.hockeyjerseyconcepts.com for the article. ***

Friday: The XIII

Any triskaidecaphobics in the house? Never worry, never fear, Friday the 13th is a holiday at my household . . . or at least in my head. Welcome to a unique (in it's own right) edition of HJC Fridays. Quite frankly, thank goodness it's Friday because it's another Friday closer to the start of NHL season (or rather, if you prefer, your favorite team's season)! I accidentally found out I'm getting a $175 or so customized Ducks eggplant jersey for around the time of late December to the first half of January (my birthday) which I can hopefully be able to share with you eventually. I enjoy the occasional jersey origin story and how someone got it or the journey it has had because I feel it becomes more than just a jersey you own at that point. Just something to think about - and speaking of which I have reminders and general concepts for you to ponder over in the comments section down below. Also, a hearty high-ho to our new Thursday writer William Butala!

------------------------------------------
The usual reminder section can be found below.

COTY-August vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm Eastern time)
COTW Sept 2-8 vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm Eastern time)
Anaheim Ducks Top 5 vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm Eastern time)
------------------------------------------

Slovakia (Brady S.)


Well, um . . . this template is really funky, it's the first time I've seen it. That's because I saw them before the other writers posted the remaining concepts. After having seen the others, I'm not a fan of the template and it doesn't even look like it has an "international" feel to it. Else-wise, I would like to see the sleeves on both jerseys blue just because they appear unbalanced based on the distribution of the flag striping and the annoying pipe separator. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of any bit of this other than the "identifiability" of Slovakia branding - 5 out of 10.

Mountfield HK (Jake88)


The most intriguing piece of the uniform is the choice of yoke outline. I personally like it - but it's only because this is a team that would be able to pull it off. Also, the fact that the sock striping isn't continuous caught my attention. I'm kinda curious as to why the hem striping size looks different between the two uniforms but that doesn't take away from it. I'm kind of surprised the gloves aren't multicolored to match the striping, but simple will work too. 8.5 out of 10.

Canada  (Jordan)


I really like the red on white, except it doesn't seem to translate well onto a jersey. The white one does look better, but i do appreciate the effort to match it. Including some black would be a good enhancement to the red jersey. Not that it would be a good idea, but what if we tried vintage white on the red? Just a thought. The striping is a tad bit bland for me but then again, it would be better than overdoing it in this case. A 7 out of 10.

Ottawa Senators (Stephen T.)


This is a pretty neat look. The striping on pants with any uniform is pretty difficult to do the more intricate the design gets. It even makes up the entire of the socks. I am glad that it didn't translate onto the gloves because at that point it would become too much of a good thing. The helmet distribution is alright, but the black could also be used with the white uniform. Even Parliament would be impressed - a 9.5 and CotW nom from me.

Campbell River Storm (Zack)


For those who don't know, the Campbell River Storm are a junior hockey team out of British Columbia. There are other such teams like the Buffalo Junior Sabres, for instance. As there is a lot things that require attention, I will recommend taking a look at the HJC tutorial guide. My predominant concern is that the TV numbers aren't properly placed on the front and completely missing on the back - the same goes for the shoulder patch. I do like where this is heading and see a lot of potential. We got a drought instead of a monsoon,  4 out of 10.

Heineken Manheim (Jon)


I enjoy seeing what non-sport ideas come in, this is a hockey team, but the fact that sponsorship is involved (guilt by team name) makes it what I call a "hybrid" concept. This looks more like a team that would participate in the KHL, but it looks very very sharp. The TV numbers on the green sweater are a little hard to make out, but you still can tell what numbers those are. I find the green and black striping (on the whites) odd because I generally don't like striping like that, but this color combination makes it look respectable. An 8 out of 10 stars.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (HJC Ryan)


I may be mistaken, but this looks like a customized template from the drag and drop folder. Red really stands out here, it would even more if the number outline was reversed (gold/red/black rather than gold/red/black). I don't know if it's intended to be a road or alternate uniform, but the WBS has never been good with logos, though I do appreciate that they do slightly distance themselves from Pittsburgh. I don't hate it, but it doesn't wow me - 7 out of 10.

Vancouver Canucks (Jets96)

The home and road jerseys are really innovative and unique but as far as the alternate, I'd rather wear the much despised "V" jerseys or the original alternate from '96 (which actually turned out better than people give credit). The above alternate has no coordination  between the jersey, pants, and socks and distracts me from a good home/road set- what seems a far out idea even for Vancouver. The numbers seem off too, but that's also proportionate at the same time. A 6.5 out of 10 here.

HK Propad (Jake88)


For some reason, this reminds me of Torino FC in Serie A Italian soccer, except the color.  The Thrashers font probably works better than I think it does. The yoke outline just looks weird to me. I would suggest removing the color from the bottom of the sleeves of the white uniform. Again, surprisingly bland gloves are featured here - not that that's a problem, it's just what I'm used to. A 7.5 out of 10.

Pittsburgh Bandits (Jon)


There is such a team in hockey with a different logo and colors and haven't the slightest idea what level they play at. I honestly don't have much to say about this one other than the striping pattern isn't my favorite - especially considering the black jersey doesn't match the striping along the pants. A 7 out of 10.

San Jose Sharks (Steven G.)


I have always wanted a good clean template of this cut to play around with - that hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, Steven has added orange to a classic San Jose look. As much as I want to like it, I'm not getting much out of it. One thing I would do is switch the use of the helmets. Next I would add striping to the pants even though an alternate logo is present. I think then it would work the best. A 7 out of 10.

USA (Jordan)


I'm not a fan of this particular shield, but it would make an alright shoulder patch. As far as the striping, I like it, but it at the same time looks terribly wrong to distribute them that way (my tack hockey fashion talking). I think this could also use a double outline on the numbers. Now I'm good - a 6.5 out of 10.

Colorado Avalanch (Jets96)


Colorado is one of those teams that everyone does better at designing kits than the team's current front office. This is a good example of that. Going retro with a modern twist is good - if you can successfully put it off. Without that, I don't see much in this concept. The alternate is my least favorite because unlike the above concept, the split striping isn't as distinguishable. A 7.5 out of 10.

USA (Brady)


Template aside, this is a little bit better, but I would like to see a bit more sleeve action. The double set of chest striping doesn't strike my fancy, but it's better than some other things that could have been implemented. I'm not quite sure how people would react to how the stars are displayed. A 6 out of 10.

Another Friday down, see I told you today wasn't so scary. Enjoy your weekends!

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.