28 September 2013

HJC: Post XIX

*** The following is my post from a different site, please visit www.hockeyjerseyconcepts.com for the article. ***

Friday: It's Time

It may be Friday, but it's my last post of the pre-season with opening night on Tuesday. The Ducks are opening on the road in Colorado who lost their most recent pre-season game last night and Buffalo is at new division opponent Detroit's Joe Louis Arena. In other news, I think Commissioner Andrews sees something in me because he gave me the first copy (fresh off the shelves) of the 2013-14 AHL Media Guide at the start of class on Wednesday night. Also, our class had made the Springfield Republican newspaper on Tuesday (as we had a photographer in class the week before). If you ever get to meet Dave Andrews, he's pretty cool. And now the important designer stuff! Reminders, as usual, are included below

--------------------------------------

We are looking for a new writer on SATURDAY. Please click the banner above for details!
If you've applied before, feel free to submit again.

--------------------------------------

USSR Comp To 5 vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm Eastern)
COTW Sept 16-22 vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm Eastern)

--------------------------------------

Tampa Bay Lightning (Justin F.)


Let me start this one off by saying I like where this is going - a lot. The striping alignment is fantastic. I could do without the yoke and outline however, as well as at least a single (if not double) outline on the numbers. If a double outline is to be used, consider matching the striping. I'd like to see a black uniform in TSP again. One thing I will point out about the hem strip is that it should probably be raised a little bit and the to remove the stitching below it. An 8 out of 10.

Ottawa Senators (Nikesh B.)


I'm not big on the two stripe thing, but it definitely makes sense for the franchise. Everything appears to be alright, assuming this was created in MS Paint. But I think I would like to see this become a set with a white as well as a black one to see if we can use either colored uniform as an alternate. Even if it isn't in the striping as has been the case before, I would like to see the return of the reeds as is on the 00/01-06/07 alternate. A 7 out of 10.

Anaheim Ducks (Alan H.)


I've always loved this template, but it hasn't really had that perfect "match made in heaven" to be used for. This isn't one of those, although not bad at all. When we had that competition recently, it reminded me how thankful I am that my boys aren't wearing those colors. Unfortunately, the logo stayed - beggars can;t be choosers I guess. I like the distribution of the colors but you can never get the combo for the logo right, I tried this with the logo after the comp was over and that didn't work well at all. The striping pattern is  a go with me but the name and number outline should switch the orange and black around. A 7.5 out of 10.

Rockford IceHogs (Kyle N.)


Definitely out of the box work from Kyle here. I appreciate the effort - especially for a non-NHL team, but I'm not a fan of the striping on the home white in this concept. If it matches the road black (with the accommodating adjustments), I'll be happy with that. Also, I would remove the extended black cuffs from the alternate. The alternate should probably go white in numbers as red on red just doesn't fly with me. A 6.5 out of 10.

Anaheim Ducks (Dylan W.)


Okay, this is significantly different from a typical Ducks concept. This might be more wild than the original Wild Wing jersey. I like the use of the eggplant and jade up until we get to the arm and hem striping. While the striping itself is great, the excess white kills the mood of the jersey, while it would be better if said excess is eggplant and help significantly even though not the best solution. I wouldn't be chill with a lack of striping but nothing exciting. Simple would be the way to go with that. A 7.5 out of 10.

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (Scott D.)


"Soo" needs to get a new logo in order for me to take their uniforms seriously because I can't do the bi-color thing (except for the Red Wings who have been pulling it off for years). The gray won't do, but it would be a step in the right direction nonetheless. I would try to be more entertaining with the home and road striping  for starters. Then after that I don't know if there is anything else anyone can do. Maybe Darnell Nurse can operate, a 6 out of 10.

Univ. of Miami (Mike S.)


As Mike moves right along with the Atlantic Coast Conference, a storm front is passing through Miami. This one is really the eye of the hurricane - virtually perfect balance in this concept. Orange numbers with white would go better to match the logo but what I like most here is the yoke. Not quite like the Bruins not because it has two colors, but that it doesn't extend to the outline. The pant striping I'm alright with despite the mismatch as it is appropriate to Miami's history with said pattern. The storm warning reads an 8.5 out of 10.

Calgary Flames (Trevor M.)


There is a lot to this one. numbers are over-sized and the lack of TV numbers is also evident. I don't know that an outline is necessary for the NOB. I'd try to stick with solid colored collars. Those collar inserts probably stay the color of the jersey. I would like to see matching striping patterns on the home and road - preferably the one from the latter. It wouldn't be a bad idea to fix the top stripe of the hem on the back of the alternate, which by the way has a great crest that could use slightly larger numbers. I wen't down to the ring of fire and the Flames can get higher at a 5.5 out of 10.

Adirondack Frostbite (Jake88)


Dave Andrews just mentioned in class about how Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) is trying to convince the temporary Adirondack Phantoms to stay in Glens Falls. Based on the old United Hockey League team, Jake 88 relocates the Lake Erie Monsters (currently situated at the Q in Cleveland). This might be a better alternative. The colors are surprisingly good for this concept. I wonder if this is a. Once again, I am surprised not to see the gloves colored in. I'm still not completely sure why, but I'm a stripes on the pants kind of guy so something has to be there for me. Turn up the thermostat to an 8.5 out of 10.

The Commissioner tells us that we have an in-class assignment at a Hartford Wolfpack game next month. That will be . . . interesting. In the mean time I would like to go to an NHL game at the TD Garden whilst i'm in the are, but that may have to wait. In any event, enjoy your weekends!

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.