03 August 2013

HJC: Post XI

*** The following is my post from a different site, please visit www.hockeyjerseyconcepts.com for the article. ***

Friday: Riding the Waves

"Little high, Little low" HJC readers! I'm back after the chaos of last week and on the up and up. I have a concept I would like you all to take a look at and give your two cents on. That concept will round out today's post.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Included is one unusual deadline (you can figure out which one). Please consider them.

COTW July 22-28 vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm EDT)
HJC Open Finals voting (ends Sunday @ 6pm Eastern)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Carolina Lightning (Coby)


This is probably his best concept yet, as Coby depicts a pee-wee team from the Carolinas. This even goes against my dislike of this template, but he has done almost everything right. The striping is the main concern. Stripes generally shouldn't cover the template outline and also every arm stripe should cover the entire width of the sleeve up to the outlines but not past. That is still a hug improvement from old striping applications of Coby's. The only other thing is that the extended yoke means the name should be in the lower portion of it and the top of the numbers a little bit higher up from their current position. The logo is kind of dull to me, but it's pee-wee hockey. Overall, 8 out of 10.

Univ. of New Orleans (Dylan W.)


This one to me is just plain ol' unaapealing. It's both the distribution of the white and the alternate version of the logo. Everything is well executed, but I just can't see a place for this jersey. My rubric gives me a 7.5 out of 10.

Montréal Maroons (Michael G.)


The simplicity of this is uncanny, very appropriate for such a defunct team. So far, this is one of my two front-runners in this concept series that Michael has provided us. Everything just matches so perfectly that it seems like a lost art in hockey jersey design. I kind of wish my college had sweaters like this. A 9 out of 10.

Seattle Warriors (Felix)


Not colors, nickname, or logo we generally associate with hockey in Seattle. But Felix tackles the logo and color scheme of the now defunct NFL Europe's Cologne Centurions. My big concern I guess is the piping, which I don't personally mind when done correctly. However, the jerseys don't match. Either it's both or neither - and if there will be both, then the piping shouldn't extend below the hem striping. I would also suggest removing only half the yoke outline in either style (keeping either the ends or the center, both joined at the piping). The black stripes may want to be thicker, but that's relatively minor. Fighting for a thumbs up from Caesar, an 8 out of 10.

Toronto Maple Leafs (Frank)


As I have been mentioned before, I do not like this Leafs logo compared to the one on the alternate. Even though I don't like it, it can be the alternate providing a white version of the real alternate as a road uniform. With the striping I'd prefer either all wide or all thin stripes and add more on the pants to match. An 8.5 out of 10.

Oakland Seals (Michael G.)


If Chuck O. Finley was the owner of this team, why did he lighten the colors to differentiate them from the baseball club yet have them wear white skates? Here the colors get even lighter and that further makes a mockery of the Seals franchise. The striping, the numbers and name, the yoke, the logos - they're all well placed, but these colors have a psychedelic feel to them. A 7.5 out of 10.

Toronto Blue Jays (Kyle)


As much as I love these, one thing troubles me - the alternate. The white it appears is intended to keep the jersey predominantly light in color. I have an issue with the mismatching sleeve and hem stripes I also like to see a much more different and/or simple pattern. As far as color, I think (as Toronto teams have) worked the double blue quite well historically speaking - even now with the CFL's Argonauts; therefore I would switch the uses of white and blue around. I would even add a "Canada Day jersey" just as they've been doing. An 8.5 out of 10.

Univ.of Hawai'i (Dylan W.)


I've been waiting for the unofficially nicknamed "Rainbow Wahine" to have a unique design to their image and likeness. To the first time of my awareness, Dylan has provided that. The black stripe could be a tad thicker, but that really has no bearing on the overall concept. By the way, they are again the Rainbow Warriors as of the first of July 2013. A 9.5 out of 10 and my nomination for Concept of the Week.

Anaheim Ducks (Stephen T.)


Whether they are Ducks or Mighty Ducks my team can look good in such a template I despise. I would like to see the diagonal stripe on the hem return as it was truly unique to the franchise, but this striping works just as well if not better. As for the Finnish Flash, he may have another year or more left in him. Properly using a duck call results in a 9 out of 10.

-------------------------------------------------------------

New York Islanders (Ricky . . . yes me)


I know there isn't any equipment, but that information is part of my template. I created seven of such by using the mix and match feature provided by Ryan. I did the same with the Buffalo Destroyers jersey for the HJC Open this year. I figured that for the Isles' "fish-sticks" logo, wavy everything was appropriate. You'll take notice the sleeve striping matches the sequence of waves in the logo, as does the yoke.

I took the Buffa-slug body and mixed it with the Bruins hem, regular Reebok sleeves, the collar from the Leafs' Winter Classic sweater, and the Blackhawks' cuffs. The reason I laid back on the equipment is primarily because it is distracting enough as is with everything that is going on. The font is called "4th and Inches" which was chosen more for the numbers than the lettering. Tell me what you think in the comments, I eagerly await for your highly valued opinions!

-------------------------------------------------------------

That wraps up another Friday installment of HJC. Don't forget about your reminders and remember: you're work is always in the eye of the beholder.

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.