24 February 2016

A BNG Cup O'Joe

I love old videos and venues in sports, particularly of the late pre-technology age (1982-1998) especially in box lacrosse (which began in 1997). Oft times I wished I was a tad bit older when I had my only sports experience at Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium (several circuses and on Buffalo Sabres open practice). There are a few videos that I thought were missing then got to thinking about jerseys, but felt that might not be enough. I then preceded to browse around for scoreboards after determining which ones are new outside of Honda Center and the Air Canada Centre for 2015-16 in the NHL having recently discovered the new board at the latter. This led to Google image searching for something I didn't anticipate to find - dasher board signage from specific arenas through the aforementioned time period. This subsequently prompted me to try the one (then) Major Indoor Lacrosse League arena that had the most accurate signage: the Joe.

Joe Louis Arena was the home to the Detroit Turbos for the teams entire tenure (1989-1994). Until a few years ago, I didn't realize that was the home venue as the then National Professional Soccer League's Detroit Rockers shared the facility before moving to the Palace of Auburn Hills in 1997 where I previously thought the Turbo played throughout their existence. Now that the history lesson is over, let's get to business.


Based on original from Frozen Faceoff.

I only wound up finding two other arenas' dasher boards including the Aud here, the Spectrum in Philadelphia and DC's Capitol Centre - all now demolished. Now for the ideas, I thank our Friends at Frozen Faceoff for the original replication of the dasher board template and Joe Louis Arena scoreboard. Both were altered to reflect the Detroit Turbos tenure. As no photos are immediately available currently, the scoreboard ad accuracy is unverifiable (though likely inaccurate). I figured that this was a stupendous change of pace and encouraged me to revisit something that may jog your BNG memory. Tomorrow, we will  unveil that topic.

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.