12 December 2013

That's All I Wrote (Literally), Ode to Dave Andrews

That was a long final exam last night but it is all over now. As I mentioned, I was going to make a presentation to AHL President and Commissioner(CEO) Dave Andrews prior to him administering the exam. It was with great pleasure to provide such a memento for his mantle and I am glad that I was able to provide such a unique item for his keepsake. Earlier in the year, he gave me the first copy of this season's digital AHL media guide in class - just me, surprisingly. As much as I wanted to give him something as a token of gratitude, I couldn't figure it out. Then it hit me. But for as much as I did know about him, I had some more research to do. It was a great moment for me to be able to call Dave Andrews as a colleague and friend in the sport management field and it is something that I will cherish for a very long time.







You can barely see it in the photo, and I was this close to having the colored one custom made (in my mind, anyway), but that is Dave's goalie number when he was playing (13). He also was with the then Edmonton AHL affiliate Cape Breton Oilers front office as Edmonton's Director of Minor League Operations (or something like that) under the legendary Glen Sather. You can see the concept below, please note that it is a replica concept and not an original design per say, other than the customization. I made sure that this was as historically accurate as possible.


It's nothing special as far as originality, I know; but it is for sentimental value. On his copy, I signed it again and had it framed as you can at least see the frame in the above photos. I held my own during the evening, but I was silently shedding tears inside my soul. That's how much fun the class was and how influential Dave has been in the short time (in terms of in class hours) that I have known him. I thank him for everything he's done - for hockey, for the love of the sport, for me, and for anything else that he deserves credit for. One of the most modest guys I know, he truly is one of a kind and simply the best.

-Ricky

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats cool! Did they really have those dumb looking namebars?

Richard Mazella said...

Yeah, they probably were intended to be the exact same color, but I think that the manufacturer(s) may have only had those as the closest alternative.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.