15 June 2013

HJC Post V

*** The following is my post from a different site, please visit www.hockeyjerseyconcepts.com for the article. ***

Friday: This is Ranger Smith in an Empire State of Mind

Greetings and salutations all across the fruited plain for another addition of HJC Fridays. The Stadium Series and international clubs will be our primary focus today. All of the Stadium Series Concepts feature the Rangers from MSG. Another busy Friday is upon us, so lets get down to the wire!

--------------------------------------------------------

As always, your reminders have been provided below.

COTY-May vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm EST)
COTW June 3-9 vote (ends tonight@ 11:59pm EST)
"Untouchables" Maple Leafs Top 5 vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm EST)

--------------------------------------------------------

Czech Republic (Bobby P.)


Bobby's first entry today, continuing his international series provides us with a traditional look. Can you say Czech-mate? You can't argue with this one. I see everything as Czech affiliated and cannot picture it else-wise. I'll never be used to this template, but it's merely an oversight. Well done for an 8 out of 10.


Switzerland (Bobby P.)


The big thing with this one is that I'd like to see a little more black accenture here other than the helmet and pants.  Again, the template throws me off but nothing that isn't taking away from the concept. I might add an additional white outline to the numbers and it could be suggested that a hem stripe could be used as well. I'm targeting a 7.5 in my cross-hairs.


Latvia (Bobby P.)


Before I get to my dissection, ESPN text alerts broke news around 10:45 AM EDT today that Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss is missing and feared drowned in his Latvian home. We hope all is okay.
This concept is ideal for the Latvians, that is, with the exception of not using  the colored version of the shield. As many may know, it is tough (especially in black and white) to created a bi-colored uniform as it limits your possibilities. Even if the jersey is bi-colored but has a flamboyant crest, I feel it significantly enhances the uniform. Maybe go Habs style and use  the flag as a chest stripe with a logo in the middle (just a thought). This is a working 7 out of 10.

Boston Bruins (Gerard)


Gerard sends in the first of three concepts today and lone 90s Edge series submission, and boy is it a doozie. This is great, I always loved the original jersey, even "Winnie the Pooh" - that is until I saw it up close and personal some years ago. What I would like to see is an superimposed version of the bear in the current alternate logo replacing this and this jersey can return from the dead. I've so far enjoyed this series from Gerard and am looking forward to the rest. A 9 out of 10 and a CotW nom from me.

Québec Remparts (Canadydy&Lecavalier25)



The first of two Remparts concepts, this one is a little bit more variable of the two. My  first thing is that I would prefer the hem stripe to match the socks and sleeves, even though it may change the layout of the jersey completely. Unless it is in red and the front of the jersey is in black, there is no need for a shoulder yoke outline. That would also require the outside  panels to be one color, particularly black. I know it may be in an attempt to match the numbers, but the name on the back seems illegible with the outline and should be in white only. Other than the naming thing, I like the concept except the striping throws it our of proportion. With the proper adjustments, this can work - without having to re-align everything mentioned above. A 6.5 out of 10 while we wait for their new arena to be finished.

Québec Remparts (J3)


As I said upstairs, matching striping would be preferred as it alters the alignment. However the outline on the name lettering works here as it is much more subtle. The Remparts could use a new look including the logo as they change arenas if they ever finish building it. A 7.5 out of 10, the other 2.5 helps to replace the bird-head logo.

Edmonton Oil Kings (Gerard)


We stay in the CHL but return to Gerard  as we take a look at Edmonton's Oil Kings. While the home and road set are very well oriented, I'm not quite sure on the retro looking alternate. While I do like that the alternate is primarily yellow, the home and roads need a new primary logo. As many CHL teams do, they have newer logos that appear to be from the 1970s or 80s. For that, something is missing here, but I can't put a finger on it. An 8 out of 10 here.

2014 Stadium Series - NY Rangers/New Jersey Devils (Phil B.)


The first of a pair from Phil, the Devils are one of the foes the team from MSG will face. The font for the crest of the New York uniform I never felt had a rightful place, this isn't a rightful place. the number on the back of the Devils sweater is a smidge too wide. I'm not completely sure of a black Devils kit though.  Those things aside, there aren't any issues - 7 out of 10.

Pittsburgh Penguins (Jets96)


Here's an interesting idea - mix the "Robo-Penguin and double blue and see what you get. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan. Even though I don't like the modern Penguins and the double blue, Jets96 has made a combination of eras work here on the home and road. This one is still giving me mixed signals, a 7.5 out of 10.

2014 Stadium Series - NY Rangers/NY Islanders (Phil B.)



Okay so we have identified the issue with the rangers uniform in the other concept, now take a look at the Isles. I forgot to previously mention the coll red pants for the Rangers. I do like the orange, I miss the old alternate they had. The championship stripes are implemented, but I don't think they are best utilized in this way.  The lighthouse logo is recolored and brought on as a shoulder patch, nice touch. Over all pretty solid, an 8 out of 10.

Hershey Bears (Gerard)


I like the choice of logo, although the vintage white (sand as they call it) throws me off, this is passable. I would however like a thicker outline on the logo of the alternate sweater. I absolutely love how the yoke matches the striping. With an 8.5 out of 10 they as sweet as the chocolate bars.

2014 Stadium Series - NY Rangers/NY Islanders (Andrew G.)


The first thing I noticed was the "New York" across the chest, very road-like. However the classic yoke pattern is gone, oh well. I would also like to see some white separating the inner stripe from the outer ones on the sleeves and hem. Could we add the championship stripes somewhere for the Isles? An 8 out of 10 is in order.

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.