01 June 2013

HJC Post III

*** The following is my post from a different site, please visit www.hockeyjerseyconcepts.com for the article. ***

Friday: The Good, the Sketchy, and the Voting

Good day to all and more concepts have been coming in as of late! Three of today's are from the Monday contributor, WinnipegJets96 of the ten submitted concepts. The first is the most unique of all so I will separate it from the rest in order to prove a point regarding its uniqueness. Before that, I provide you with the following reminders:


COTW May 20-26 vote (ends Friday @ 11:59pm EDT)
"Untouchables" Bruins Top 5 vote (ends Friday @ 11:59pm EDT)
(HJC Playoff Pool pick submissions (ends Saturday @ 5PM EDT)
--------------------------------------------------------

Las Vegas Hookers (Brian B.)


This one scares the heck out of me, solely because of the boldness of it. The concept itself is very well executed and very clever though very suggestive as part of the logo, "Hookers" nickname, last name "Fokmi", and even the number "00" imply. Payouts are 4:1 for this 8 out of 10. 

--------------------------------------------------------

OKC Barons (Jets96)


The primary highlights to this jersey are the removal of the Bettman striping, removal of the front piping, and addition of hem striping is also included. This concept doesn't "wow" me, but is not bad at all. Then again, I don't know if anyone can wow a concept with copper in their color scheme. Time to cash out an 8 out of 10 in black gold.

Columbus Blue Jackets(Stephen T.)

I do like this, but for the wrong reason. That reason is that this should not be used for the team, but rather for an All-Star game (if there ever is one to be held in Columbus). The uniqueness and lack of a clash version would mean that this would be an alternate, and I would be okay with that. The font is true to the regular kit as well as the striping. Another 7.5 out of 10 here.

Edmonton Oilers (Dylan W.)


The similarity between the Oilers and New York Knicks is uncanny in the regard that they sport the same colors and neither team has had an orange alternate. The Oliers didn't get on because they switched from orange to copper the season after the first ever NHL alternates were introduced (until switching back to orange recently). I like everything here except the bottom of the hem. the white and blue below the orange are supposed to be symmetrical to the yoke. Unfortunately I feel it seems a little silly and out of place and both need to be orange. the part of the hem that matches the arm striping can stay put. Interesting that the "Reebok" branding is on the sleeve. More black gold, an 8.5 out of ten.

Buffalo Sabres (Mike S.)


A gold third jersey, just what my hometown team needs, especially if it is oriented like this. I really don't have much to say other than this is exactly what an alternate jersey should be all about. It's gold, it uses the  modified logo, and the numbering (was never my favorite, but) is Sabres identifiable. The tip of the sabre is so sharp only a diamond can cut better, a 9 out of 10 and a CotW nomination.

NOR Admirals (Jets 96)


It's been interesting seeing my Ducks in their first year as the Admirals' affiliate, especially with the shortened NHL season. This color scheme features all of the primary colors, acceptable by AHL standards but does not usually translate well. The Blues jerseys from the mid to late 90s are one exception to that. If the yellow is darker, I think we have what we're looking for. It is still a solid concept nonetheless. A 7.5 out of 10.

Boston Bruins (Caleb F.)


The first thing I immediately noticed was the diagonal striping on the sleeves - a fantastic design choice. I do miss the trademark yoke, but can understand the dis-inclusion. The retro look I think would make these look good as alternates but can also pass as a regular set.I wonder if this would've been eligible for the contest . . . An 8 out of 10

Sonic (Brian B.)


Brian gives us his second contribution of the day. This one is a good start, but I am not familiar with the modern Sonic the Hedgehog branding other than the depiction of Sonic shown above. I did one for the video game contest here last May. I do recognize the rings, script, and checkering. I think this particular shade of blue (white gets a little lost in translation) as well as the modern Sonic make this a little off key otherwise I'm okay with it. A 7 out of 10 for a well thought of design.

LA Kings (Brandon C.)


Brandon gives us a "Burger King" concept. I'm still convinced it is a magi and not a King. I like the idea of seeing a gray jersey used by someone, but this isn't it. While it makes the concept look realistic, the numbers and logo I don't feel compliment the elemental distribution very well. Outside of that, I think this is a lovely jersey. Maybe gold instead of silver will do this concept justice. A result for an 8 out of 10.

PEO Rivermen (Jets 96)


True to their affiliation with St. Louis prior to the sale and pending relocation, Jets 96 makes Peoria look good. I never was a fan of this secondary logo in full. I wonder what would happen if the Blues adopted this particular set, particularly with the arch logo roundel. I'm undecided on the extended looking yoke, where it's really just a continuation of the side panels. Overall, a very appealing set, 8 out of 10.

I'm ecstatic over the Blackhawks big win in game seven against Detroit the other night. It was even better that it was Brent Seabrook that scored - I've always thought of him as a cult hero, very under-spoken and underrated. It will be one heck of a conference finals in the west, and much better than last years! Hope you'll be watching that series which starts tomorrow and/or the Bruins/Rangers series. Happy hockey and don't forget to send your great ideas in to us!

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.