05 October 2013

HJC: Post XX

*** The following is my post from a different site, please visit www.hockeyjerseyconcepts.com for the article. ***

Friday: The Openers

I didn't give you my predictions last week because I anticipated Ryan to do it, so I let him start the "trend" on Sunday. You'll see mine later. In the meantime, I provide you with reminders below - as per the usual.

--------------------------------

COTW Sept 23-29 vote (ends tonight @ 11:59pm Eastern time)
Colgate Autism Awareness entries (due tonight @ 11:59pm Eastern time)

--------------------------------

Colgate Women's Hockey vs. Autism

Matt R.

 Antonio C.

Fernando L.

Fabu

ML Designs

Dylan W.

--------------------------------

Winnipeg Jets (Gerard M.)


Of all the Jets logos I've seen circulated, this is new to me. It's probably because I have never been to Janesville, WI (though I've been close). I'm not a fan, but I don't hate it either. The striping takes away from this concept, but it could also be worse. I'd like to see a more innovative collar as well. Maybe switch the order of the striping colors and then apply them to the collar. A 7 out of 10.

Soviet Union (Mike S.)


As you may recall, this appeared on my post when we were accepting entries from this contest a few weeks ago. Despite this particular template, this actually looks pretty conservative. I really fancy the diamond shoulder blending. Maybe a double number outline could be of service here. Transfer the striping to the pants and you should be set. A 7.5 out of 10.

Anaheim Ducks (Wings98)


I don't know personally, but If I had to guess, Wings98 bases his name off the old roller hockey franchise - the Buffalo Wings who were established in 1998. By the way, their colors are used in this concept (sort of). The stripe width is really interesting, but the colors are a bit too bright, even if, the color distribution doesn't work for me. The colors look cool, but not for this specifically. A 4 out of 10.

Reading Royals (Jake88)


This is a really cool create-a-template that Jake has made. Also notice that he uses the Buffalo Sabres old pants striping. Now that I've gotten used to him not always coloring in his glove template, this was not a time to omit that decision because (primarily) of the pants striping. I do find it unusual that the front of the jersey is solid and the back as mesh. Nonehteless, it looks good. An 8 out of 10.

Winnipeg Jets (Steven G.)


The idea behind this has never been a favorite of mine, and for several reasons. One of my biggest pet peeves is displayed with the mismatching striping poorly executed (for my taste). Also the colored cuffs/bottom hem on the road white I could care less for. The choice of number font is not something I would want to see on anyone's jersey. Finally, in truth to an alternate jersey, slap on the shoulder patch for the crest. A 6 out of 10.

Rochester Americans (Kyle N.)


The first two are fine except the numbers which I don't know how to aesthetically fix. I will never ever ever like the shield used on the alternate it almost looks like a kid drew it when the shadow is included, angle is changed, and word mark is removed. The same thing applies with the numbers as the other two. I really like seeing a red jersey as their alternate - that will be missed in this concept. A 6.5 out of 10.

Buffalo Sabres (Dylan W.)


Dylan and I took similar approaches as the Buffalo boys decided that there could still be blue on the back of the jersey. You'll get to see mine tomorrow. I appreciate that Dylan alters this template to make the front and back virtually identical. I could do that, but the collar cut in front looked cool with the angular design. I also like that the back of the sleeves aren't extended with blue. While I'm not a fan of the hem, it fits in very well. An 8 out of 10.

Sweden (Stephen T.)


This is pretty odd because of the arms and socks. The striping is just plain old unattractive. While I'm not a fan of the stripe on the pants, it at least is appears relevant to the rest of the concept. Funny that the Canucks font is used. I'm not a fan of the asymmetrical yoke, but it isn't something I'm going to over focus on. I think the blue uniform could use a hint of white accenture as well. A 7 out of 10.

Anaheim Ducks (Colin M.)

Sorry to say it, but this particular Wild Wing mask makes the Ducks look like a joke team that everyone probably thought they'd be when they started. Orange is a good start, but I don't know that I'd keep the home/road striping. Also I'd like to know why everyone prefers the single thin stripe on their pants. Oh well, not perfect, but it has potential. A 7.5 out of 10.

My  HCIHL Fantasy team is suffering on opening week. HCIHL is a much smaller versioin of Icethetics IceHL. Go Foxes! Really quickly, my predictions for the season as promised.
Happy hockey!
[EDIT-Ricky] The original did not save properly, Buffalo was omitted.


-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.