25 May 2013

HJC Post II

*** The following is my post from a different site, please visit www.hockeyjerseyconcepts.com for the article. ***

Friday: The Time Machine

Another Friday is upon us. It's a busy day with Bruins concepts flying in tomorrow added to an already concept heavy post. We'll be going back and forth between teams of the past and potential new teams of the future.

Today in history: 1980 - Stanley Cup: New York Islanders beat Philadelphia Flyers, 4 games to 2, 1986 - Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens beat Calgary Flames, 4 games to 1, 1988 - Power outage in Boston Garden in NHL's Stanley Cup finals, 1989 - NHL's New York Rangers fire GM & coach Phil Esposito, 1990 - Stanley Cup: Edmonton Oilers beat Boston Bruins, 4 games to 1.


Please remember that we have a pair of deadlines for today's date. Please make note of them below.


COTW vote May 13-19 (ends tonight @ 11:59pm EST)
Boston Bruins Untouchables entries (due tonight @ 11:59pm EST)

--------------------------------------------------------

Bruins Untouchables entries:


There aren't any today, remember the above deadline!

--------------------------------------------------------

San Jose Sharks (Brady S.)


This is the only Nike SWIFT concept Brady has for us today. Personally I see either of two things: first that this seems more oriented to the redesign of the AHL affiliate Worcester Sharks and second that this would pass more as a 90s OAK/CAL (Golden) Seals concept redesigned with a modern template. Albeit a bland concept, I do like it to some extent. As much as I like the striping used is simple, I would like to see a slightly more creative stripe like the wave at the bottom of the Lightning alternate from the late 90s or a perhaps even a zig zag. Difficult to put a number to, but I am giving an 8 out of 10.

2014 Stadium Series: NY Islanders (Michael G.)


Michael presents us with an interesting idea, despite the youth of the Islanders organization. While his name appears on the jersey, I will make mention that Tavares' talented uncle (Buffalo Bandits - NLL leader in goals/assists/points) of the same name is even older than the team on the Island - all just by coincidence. Even with an example in front of me, I simply cannot picture the Isles in vintage white but it could probably be made possible. The only thing that would ruin the idea of a winter classic for this team is a jersey from the "Fish-sticks" era and in vintage white. It does look good and I don't know how much better can be made of it, yet this could be what we see. I'm giving a half point for arbitrary purposes for a 7.5 out of 10.

Atlanta Thrashers c.1970s (Jordan R.)


While the bird in the logo reminds me of Norwich City of English soccer (nicknamed the Canaries), the overall concept spells trouble. All of the sudden we have San Diego Padres copycats with the sanitary color scheme and boy were the Padres baseball team poorly dressed. In fact, they were rated by MLB network's Prime 9 series as one of the top eight of 9 "Unique" uniform set (meaning worst presumably). But this team would take away the market from the developing WHA at that time. The only difference is that this would be then nickname instead of the Flames. So that could mean we see the Calgary Thrashers quite possibly and the 90s expansion team to be named the Flames. Who knows? I can like it, but the schematics are the spoiler on this but I'm not letting that be the deciding factor. However this provides the vintage feel to it, after all, the Seals and Kings did have yellow home jerseys too. I'm giving it an 8 out of 10 as well.

2014 Stadium Series: VAN Canucks (Mike S.)

This is exactly a modified version of the inaugural "stick in a rink" jersey that Mike has presented us with. While I never really cared for the logo it is relatively a bump in the road. The numbers are slightly over-sized on the back and are too small for the TV numbers. As much as I like the wide striping, it is also squeezing the TV numbers, thus forcing the smallness of them. To be quite honest, the green and white should be swapped to add variation and match the logo and outline. A 7 out of 10 here.

Team Breakers (Sean L.)



As Sean notes, he wants your opinion on how the socks should be designed for his Breakers concept. Mine would be that since he is using the Buffa-slug template, to have two thick separated stripes the top in green and the bottom white with a thin section of black separating the two. Now onto the rest of the concept. The name on back, TV numbers and even shoulder patches are too small for my liking. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure what the shoulder patch is but it seems that it is improperly positioned. This is a very good original logo and I like the colors but something else is missing in addition to other things, with the dismissal of the lack of socks as a contributing factor. 6 out of 10 and the reader sock suggestions will be given.

Penn State Nittany Lions (Michael M.) 


While these are separate concepts that Michael sent us, I will combine them here for discussion purposes. There are several things here that I wish to discuss. The logo is great and adds value for me. Secondly, I would make the stripes slightly thicker but a great addition to make this concept simple but not bland. I would also like to see the "Penn State - Shenango" a bit more centered between the two stripes. Also the paw on the alternate is higher then the ones on the home and road. In addition, all three should be half on the front right and half on the back right and preferably in the yoke unless there is some sort of intent on placement. I like the nameless jersey as it would save on reproduction cost. I know the logo is a slightly darker shade of blue than what is used and both are school colors, but I feel we should stick with the shade of blue from the logo.


Though the home and road strongly resemble TML jerseys, the extra color on the sleeves and outline-less numbering distinct the jersey as an alternate as of course do the black and pink. One problem with that color combination - I have never seen a professional or collegiate team perform well in those colors, only my high school did well in navy and pink - but again, that's high school. I have a 7.5 out of 10 for the primary set and a 7 out of 10 for the alternate.

London Knights (Kyle C.)

London not only just won their second straight OHL title a week and a half ago, they are also one of the best branded in the league, imo. This may seem like a potential Minnesota North Stars concept, but it suits the Budweiser Garden tenants very well. I don't have any constructive criticism for this one, an  8 out of 10 for Kyle's effort.

Wow, I got through everything (finally) - just kidding. It has been an intriguing day considering this particular combination of concepts. Again, don't forget to vote and send in concepts. We want to see your masterpieces and your start-ups as we continue to display your creativity. For the record, I like outside the box stuff.

Anyway enjoy your weekends as I have a road game tonight and a home game on Sunday as my Indiana Pacers look to advance to the NBA Finals for the first time since 2000. I am got my first paycheck of the summer today and plan on getting that Reggie Miller gold 2000s alternate that I've been wanting (to be visible at BNG very soon). Happy concocting!

-Ricky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.